- About this Annual Review
- Board Chair message
- Chief Executive Officer and Chief Ombudsman message
- About us
- Strategic plan
- Year in review – strategic initiatives
- Year at a glance
- Who complained to AFCA?
- Overview of complaints
- Open cases
- Complaints closed by AFCA
- Banking and finance complaints
- General insurance complaints
- Superannuation complaints
- Investments and advice complaints
- Life insurance complaints
- Financial difficulty complaints
- Small business complaints
- Complaints lodged by consumer advocates
- Legacy complaints
- Complaints outside the Rules
- Systemic issues
- Naming financial firms
- Significant events
- Stakeholder engagement
- People and culture
- Feedback about our service
- Independent Assessor Report
- Corporate information
- AFCA General Purpose Financial Report 2021
- Code compliance and monitoring
- Previous schemes
- Appendix 1
About this Annual Review
This Annual Review covers the Australian Financial Complaints Authority’s (AFCA) operations from 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021.
The AFCA complaints data relates to those complaints received by AFCA during the year, unless otherwise stated.
The Annual Review arises from the reporting requirements for external dispute resolution (EDR) schemes set out in Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) Regulatory Guide 139 and Regulatory Guide 267.
The 2020–21 Datacube, which shows complaint data about AFCA members, is available on our website at data.afca.org.au and provides data required under ASIC Regulatory Guide 267.
Australian Financial Complaints Authority Limited (the company) publishes on its website a General Purpose Financial Report for the year that incorporates the Directors’ report and annual financial statements.
Published October 2021.
AFCA acknowledges the traditional owners of country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to the land, culture and community. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and future.