Annual Review 2021–22
Helping consumers, small businesses and financial firms to resolve complaints.
That’s what AFCA does.
- About this Annual Review
- Year at a glance
- Acknowledgement of country
- Board Chair message
- Chief Executive Officer and Chief Ombudsman message
- Organisational overview
- AFCA Independent Review
- Who complained to AFCA?
- Overview of complaints
- Open cases
- Closed cases
- Banking and finance complaints
- Buy now pay later
- Financial difficulty complaints
- Small business complaints
- General insurance complaints
- Significant events
- Life insurance complaints
- Superannuation complaints
- Investments and advice complaints
- Complaints lodged by consumer advocates and financial counsellors
- Legacy complaints
- Complaints outside AFCA’s Rules
- Systemic issues
- Code compliance and monitoring
- Previous schemes
- Engagement, awareness and accessibility
- Corporate information
- AFCA General Purpose Financial Report 2021–22
- Appendix 1
About this Annual Review
This Annual Review details the Australian Financial Complaints Authority’s (AFCA) performance during the 2021–22 financial year.
This Review outlines how we have met our strategic priorities, purpose and vision. We also outline the challenges we’ve faced in our work.
AFCA shares this information to meet our legislative requirements, and to be transparent and accountable to our many stakeholders. The information in this Review is for our members, complainants, government, the wider community and our staff.
The data we share relates to those complaints received by AFCA between 1 July 2021 and 30 June 2022, unless otherwise stated.
The 2021–22 Datacube, which shows complaint data about individual AFCA members, is available on our website at data.afca.org.au and provides data required under ASIC Regulatory Guide 267 (RG267).
Published October 2022.
“You were very kind, understanding and always very upfront and honest with me. You kept me up to date with every stage of my case and when you told me that they wanted to come to an agreement with me I was blown away.”