The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) is an independent external dispute resolution scheme.
AFCA provides individuals and small businesses a free, fair and independent service for resolving complaints about financial products and services.
We can deal with a wide range of problems, including:
- errors in banking transactions and credit listings
- difficulty repaying loans, credit cards and short-term finance where your financial position has changed
- denial of an insurance claim (such as car, home and contents, pets, travel, income protection and trauma)
- inappropriate investment advice
- a trustee’s decision about the distribution of a superannuation benefit.
What we can do
If you are unable to resolve your complaint directly with your financial firm, you can contact AFCA.
We can help resolve your complaint without the cost and stress of going to court. There is no need to obtain legal or other advice when lodging a complaint unless you wish to.
If English is not your first language, we can arrange access to a free interpreting service. Call the free interpreter service on 131 450, or call us on 1800 931 678* and we will organise an interpreter for you.
To talk to our staff call 1800 931 678*.
*9am–5pm Melbourne time. Calls to this number from landlines in Australia are free. Calls from mobile phones may be charged, please check with your carrier.
- How to resolve a complaint brochure
- Complaint form - printable version
- A guide to conciliation conferences
- A guide to dealing with financial difficulty
- How to resolve a small business complaint
- Mistaken internet payments
- Breaking a fixed rate loan
- Fact sheets (coming soon)
Feedback about our service
To give us your feedback (compliments, suggestions or complaints) about our service, please fill out the feedback form (PDF feedback form).
Other contact details
Australian Financial Complaints Authority
GPO Box 3
Melbourne VIC 3001
Fax: (03) 9613 6399