We live our values. We are fair, independent and impartial. We are honest, respectful and treat parties with dignity. We are transparent and accountable for what we do. We are proactive in our approach with a focus on service. We are accessible to diverse audiences – including those who may need extra help or who are vulnerable.
We demonstrate our values by:
- treating you with courtesy and respect
- being professional and respectful
- listening to you and giving you an opportunity to have your say
- guiding you through the complaints process by explaining the next steps that will be taken and sharing relevant information
- being helpful and keeping things as simple as we can
- doing what is fair for each complaint
- making fair and balanced decisions
- explaining the reasons for our actions
- being timely, efficient and flexible
- valuing feedback.
We will also share information to improve industry practice and minimise disputes (such as publishing guidance on how AFCA approaches certain complaint types, previous decisions made by AFCA and complaint-related statistics).
AFCA commits to abide by these values when working with users of our service, the Independent Assessor, other external dispute resolution or ombudsman schemes, and regulatory or government bodies.
When operating the complaint resolution scheme AFCA itself may be involved in proceedings in court. We will adopt the values outlined in this document when engaging in such proceedings.